Philip Rowland holds degrees from the University of Glasgow and Royal Holloway, University of London, with a PhD in American poetic modernism. He has published and presented on contemporary poetry in particular, as well as in English language education. His own poetry has been published widely.
British and American Literature
Modern Poetry and Haiku in English
Literature and Film in the Language Classroom
- NOON: An Anthology of Short Poems (editor and contributor). Tokyo and London: Isobar Press, 2019.
- Something Other Than Other (author). Tokyo and London: Isobar Press, 2016.
- Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years (co-editor). New York: W.W. Norton, 2013.
- Before Music (author). Winchester, VA: Red Moon Press, 2012.
- NOON: journal of the short poem (editor). Tokyo: Noon Press: Issues 1-7 (print), 2004-2009; Issues 8-16 (online), 2014-2019.
- BBC Documentary: Natural Remedies DVD Video Activity Book (co-author). Tokyo: Longman Kirihara, 2006.
- Review of Okinawa by Hasegawa Kai (trans. David Burleigh) in Modern Haiku 50.1, winter-spring 2019: 119-122
- Review of after/image by Jim Kacian, in Modern Haiku 49.2, summer 2018: 123-126
- “New Directions in English-language Haiku: An Overview and Assessment,” in The IAFOR Journal of Literature and Librarianship, Vol. 2, Issue 2, Autumn 2013: 53-66.
- Introduction to Lakes & Now Wolves by Scott Metz, Modern Haiku Press, 2012: 1-5.
- “Surrealism and Contemporary Haiku — or, Surreal Haiku?” in Roadrunner IX:3, August 2009 (online).
- “From Haiku to the Short Poem: Bridging the Divide,” in Modern Haiku, Vol. 39.3, Autumn 2008: 23-45.
- “Celebration of Failure: The Influence of Laura Riding on John Ashbery,” in FlashPoint: A Multidisciplinary Journal in the Arts and Politics, Web Issue 6, Winter 2004.
Literature in the Language Classroom; Contemporary Poetry; The Work of Laura Riding; Haiku in English; NOON: journal of the short poem (as editor); Use of Bilingual Corpus for EFL Learners (Vocabulary Research for Japanese learners).
Communicative English Advanced／Presentation Skills／British Culture／Seminar III and IV／English-Speaking Cultures.／EIC in Selected Topics（American Literature）
- Links to the books NOON: An Anthology of Short Poems and Something Other Than Other:
- Link to the recently published book, Haiku in English: The First Hundred Years (W.W. Norton, 2013)